For anyone who has ever lived out of focus. You determine who you are. What happened to you is not who you are. Live. And live well.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mom and dad had insisted I get to take at least a week off after graduation.  They said once I started working and going to school I would not have the chance for time off for a very long time.  So for two weeks, no school, no work, no plans.  I looked over at Mary again.  She was starting college in the fall.  She had a part time job for the summer and planned on having some fun.  She was in an exciting time of her life.  Where was I?  I realized Mary was looking back at me.  It took her a second or two, but she smiled at me.  I could tell she was feeling a little sentimental.  And she was worried about me.  No matter how I  tried to convince her she would not believe I was excited about graduating and working.  She felt I was being too serious.   I was being serious.  But it felt good, where I am.

She thought I was being way too serious when I told her I was beginning classes in the summer quarter.  But I was looking forward to it.  Even though studying was hard for me I enjoyed the routine of homework.  Completing assignments and finishing things.  So why wait until fall when I could keep a good routine going?  It made no sense to her. 

Before I knew it graduation was over.  I had pretty much missed everything that was said.  By choice.  We, the graduates, had to go back to our homerooms and get our real diplomas.  They handed out blank ones during the ceremony so there wouldn't be any mix ups.  I retrieved my diploma, turned in my gown and took my diploma and mortar board with me to find my family.

Hugs and kisses again from parents and grandparents.  For the most part I was pretty okay with this display of affection except with grandma.  I couldn't tell if she picked up on my discomfort.  Pictures with everyone.  We went to where Mary's family stood gathered on the school lawn and took more pictures.  Pictures of me and Mary and parents.  Mary pulled me aside and we went to check out my car.

"Are you going to the party tonight?"  She was getting in the driver's side of my car.

I stood by the driver's door.  "We're going together aren't we?"

"Of course.  Tim is going too.  Can we pick him up if he needs a ride?"

"Yeah if he doesn't mind going with both of us.".   

She looked up at me and squinted because of the bright sun.   "Why would he care?  He likes you, you like him, we have a good time together."  Mom and dad were walking towards us.

"Okay.  I think we're going out to eat now.  I'll call you when I get home."   I hadn't wanted a party which didn't surprise mom and dad.  So we agreed on a restaurant and a celebration lunch

"Okay.  Mom is having food at home so I'll be there until you come get me.  Just don't be late!"  She got out of the car and ran back to her parents and family.  Mom and dad had grandma and grandpa meet us at the restaurant.  I gave dad the keys to drive us.  We went to a new place that was downtown and seemed pretty fancy to me.  I followed behind everyone else as we walked in and dad told them we had a reservation.  

It felt pretty weird.  Coming here because high school was over for me.  Everything I had known for the last twelve years of my life, would now be different.  Different routine, different people and different feelings.  I hope.  We sat at a table next to a large picture window that looked out over a beautiful garden.  The colors of the flowers were brilliant.  The greenery dark and shiny.  How picture perfect could this be?

Once settled we ordered our drinks.  Dad asked if I would like a glass of wine.

I laughed.  "I don't think so dad".

Grandma reached over and patted my hand.  "You look beautiful Nicky,  It's hard to believe you're eighteen and graduated from high school.  I still remember the day your dad and mom told us they were expecting you."  She sat back and smiled.  A day full of smiles.

"It wasn't as exciting as the day you were born though!"  Grandpa winked at me.  "We were all there you know, your mom of course, dad, us, your aunt Marie and uncle Rick, your uncles Ted, Larry and Doug.  The nurses were pretty nice to us.  Letting us all stay in the waiting room."

I know they couldn't see it but I couldn't help but cringe when he said Doug.  And what was even worse, was including him with my uncles Ted and Larry who were...uncles.  Dad's brothers who would never have hurt me.  I smiled and nodded my head as they told my coming in to the world story.

We broke the story telling long enough to order our meals.  I would have been so happy with a salad but I know that would have raised eyebrows so I ordered lobster like they all did.




No comments:

Post a Comment